Monday, October 02, 2006

Dresses Like Spring


This is the first rainy day of the season, though the nights have been cool and fallish since mid-Sept. This cold spell is at least 2 weeks early, maybe a month. We can usually count on warm weather through mid-Oct, and I don't expect the first frost until Thanksgiving, when I'm standing under the persimmon tree waiting for the 3rd frost to ripen the persimmons.

But, this is the assignment I just did for class, "Dresses like Spring in a Meadow" a fictitious advertising postcard for a totally imaginary dress designer.

The fun thing about this is the way I thought of to illustrate a dress design - draw the outline, and fill it with a photo of a batik fabric. The photos were taken with the dress lengths of fabric thrown over the clothesline. This seems to be an unexpectedly good idea - throw your fabrics over the line and stand back. It's a good way to see what the fabric looks like in daylight, at a realistic distance. I, at least, tend to think of the fabrics in their close-up, inside the sewing room view. This clothesline view gives a preview of what the dress might look like.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10/14/2006 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the dresses scattered spring like in your drawing or whatever it is.

I wore the "support the constitution impeach Bush" shirt to the meeting today. They really liked it. I only managed to give the on line address to one person....

Maybe I can do better next time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home