Monday, May 09, 2016

Workaround again - for Minoan Textiles

http://www.spoonflower.com/designs/5683117-minoan-favorite-textile-design-ewbarber-2-batiktextures-trueblue-cherryred-forestgreen-white-by-mina
Real Minoan fabric design, 1500 BCE approx, as shown by Elizabeth Wayland Barber, from Egyptian frescos.

I need to add a powerpoint presentation to the discussion board for a class I'm taking. This was the workaround for doing images that I used before, but now I know how to do that. Only that way only works for image or video files. Most of the other students have used a link.

So, we'll try. This is the topic I have been totally absorbed by lately. (Well, roses too...)

Minoans, specifically their clothing.

(where did that come from? Well, I have always been interested in costume history. And an Art History class last semester.)

This textile design is derived from one that Elizabeth Wayland Barber shows in her wonderful books, as being a favorite exported by the Minoans to Egypt. (1500 BCE or so?)
No, this won't work to share a powerpoint for my class, but I can share this fabric design. Soon it and other Minoan designs may be up at Spoonflower.

It is up on Spoonflower, and there are other Minoan-inspired fabrics there too now. Not available yet for sale, except a blue-grey one.

smaller Minoan-inspired design from the Snake Goddess' bodice

Of course I did make a colorful one too. 

To see what these designs are inspired by, check my Pinterest board.   https://www.pinterest.com/minawagner/minoan-clothing-fabrics-approx-2500-1200bce/

The green in the first design is definitely not Minoan. I have just been rereading the chapter from Elizabeth Wayland Barber's book Prehistoric Textiles, reprinted in Woven Threads, a book about evidence about Aegean textiles. And in the ancient Egyptian depictions of Minoan textiles, they are just red, white, and blue. But these are a couple of their favorite patterns.
 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home