Sunday, September 28, 2008

Leaping Lizards

I always thought that was just an exclamation. Then last summer, waiting for the bus, I was taking some lizard pictures. And I was waiting for one to go by at ground level, when suddenly he was coming down the other tree, a foot away. He'd crossed in the air. I didn't see that, but I did see one jumping between rocks.

And I suddenly started noticing arboreal lizards, and lizards climbing the 2-story pillars on campus. And in the evenings after working at the campus library, flat lizards.

That is, lizards flattened against the sidewalks, not moving. After a brief encounter with a lizard of the opposite sex. I've one picture of both of them, flat on the same rock, after a picture of them together.

This little lizard came out beside me when I was sitting and eating my lunch on a planter at the college campus down in Rocklin last summer. Miss Muffet on her tuffet might come to mind, but actually I was thinking "Photo op!".

Right now it's the season for baby lizards. Several of them scurry aside from my path on my way down the hill to work every morning.



Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home