Sunday, July 06, 2008

Batik Mandala


12/18/07 This is a new design for a Cafepress t-shirt. It's based on a scan of a copper batik stamp (tjap). The color scheme is right out of the textbooks: purple, red-violet & blue-violet, and the complementary gold & yellow. I have to admit it works. The version I'll use at Cafepress will have the background removed, so the color of the t-shirt will show through. I think it will look particularly good on black, navy, and the brown longsleeved women's tee.

If I can do some fabric for a skirt with the stamp, just a simple natural fabric color design on purple-dyed fabric, that ought to be fun to wear with a tee. I got this stamp to give away, so if I do anything with it, it has to be soon.

Unfortunately, since it's a large one, it does not fit into the little electric frying pan I have to heat wax in. I have been trying to find an old electric fry pan at the thrift stores, but haven't turned up one yet.

6-20-08 I just got a section made at Cafepress for this design: WRW Color by Design - Fabrics by Design section

7-6-08 I hope to do some experiments these next 2 weeks with soy wax for batik: lower temperature, easier cleanup and removal from the fabric, and can use cooking pans too, not just wax-only containers.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8/02/2008 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm.. can you tell what size does it have? Looks not so large for fitting into standard electric frying pand

 
At 8/08/2008 10:51 PM, Blogger MinaW said...

It's just about 8 inches - yes it should fit into a standard sized electric fry pan, but I just have a small one so far, for testing the process.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home