Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Spoonflower hooray!

At Spoonflower (www.spoonflower.com), you can upload a design, and get digitally-printed yardage with your design printed on it! I only have about 114 designs sent to them so far, and have gotten some successful samples in light and medium colors. *

This is a design that started as a small dye-painted square of test fabric. Then I scanned it, Photoshopped it to get many colors, and made an array so it could print as yardage. Soon I'll order a sample to see how the colors come out. Then if that works well, I'll get a couple of yards to make perhaps a knee-length vest, lined in a teal fleece which I got for that, and then found it didn't go with the batiks I intended to use. And it will be my unique fabric.

Your designs remain private unless you choose to make them public, but no one except your self can buy them now. Someday. Unless one of your designs is chosen to be in the weekly contest, and it wins - in which case people can buy it for a week. And you would win some fabric. Right now they're printing on a quilting-weight cotton. Other fabrics later. (Update: several more fabrics now available, in different widths.)

This is a lot of fun. Click on the fabric to see some of my other designs.


*(Dark or black backgrounds with low-contrast images don't work well.)


11-09 UPDATE Spoonflower now makes it possible for us to put our fabrics up for sale, but only the ones we have ordered swatches of. So I have a couple available for sale now, and more coming. This one soon. 11-29-09 This one is now available for sale: 
http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/111479

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4/24/2009 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recognize those colors. ;-)

Richard,
Southern Oregon

 
At 4/28/2009 11:01 PM, Blogger MinaW said...

Yeah, this has been my favorite color combination for years. At least since I read The Tale of Gengi in about 1972, and found that color combination in layered kimonos mentioned in that almost 1000 year-old tale. I took that as validation of my preference, which was very out of fashion then.

But when I took color theory several years ago, she promised us we would become able to make a color combination we loved out of colors we hated. It took a couple of years, but now I can! And so I have lots more favorite color combinations now.

 
At 5/03/2009 3:18 PM, Anonymous Richard said...

I use a little app called Color Impact to play with color combinations for my software stuff.
I think it can be found at tigercolor dot com, or just Google it. I've found it fun to just play with. I'm suspecting you might enjoy it too.

Any road, I like what you have done with your fabric fetish. Looking forward to seeing where it carries you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home